Living skillfully requires us to accept and give our attention to the instruction of wisdom. The attributes of wisdom unmistakably are the qualities of Christ. The book of Proverbs stirs our hunger for wisdom and Christ satisfies our appetite.
Wisdom described as:
1. Skillfulness in a moral sense; skills for living correctly or craftsmanship.
2. Prudence, comprehensive insight, enlightenment, right application of knowledge.
1 Corinthians 1:24 tells us that Christ is the wisdom of God. That being said, without relationship with Him, wisdom is out of reach. (Read 1 Corinthians 1:18-31)
Basically this sequence of blogs on Proverbs is designed to give us tools for skilful living. I’m always apprehensive to give tools/methods, for fear the methods will be sought instead of God. These are just tools from the Word of God to help you know Him more—the tools are not the answer to life, God is.
This week’s treasure is found in Proverbs 2 titled, The Value of Wisdom. This chapter is full of promises for God’s people however as with most promises in scripture there are premises. A premise is the basis of a promise, similar to an agreement. Example: If you seek then you’ll find, seek is the premise—find is the promise. You won’t find if you don’t seek.
Proverbs 2:1-4, provides us with the three IFS. The IFS are premises to the promises in Proverbs 2:5-9.
Proverbs 2:1-4: Premise
- IF you treasure, receive and apply wisdom to your heart
- IF you ask for insight and understanding of wisdom
- IF you seek and search for wisdom
Proverbs 2:5-9: Promises
- THEN you will understand the fear of the Lord—gain knowledge of God
- THEN you will be given wisdom, knowledge and understanding about life
- THEN you will be a recipient of common sense
- THEN you will make wise and right choices
- THEN you will understand what is right, just and fair
- THEN God will shield, guard and protect your path
Proverbs 2:2 “Tune your ears to the world of Wisdom;
set your heart on a life of Understanding.“
Skillful living insights:
IF you seek God and value wisdom you will know the fear of the Lord.
IF you apply wisdom to your life you will be able to make right choices.
Proverbs 2:10-11, gives the conditions for avoiding the evil behavior illustrated in Proverbs 2:12-19.
- WHEN wisdom enters your heart and knowledge is pleasant to you
- THEN wise choices will watch over you and understanding will keep you safe
- Wisdom will save you from evil people
- Wisdom will save you from immorality
Skillful living tools: Wisdom and understanding keep you pure.
The last part of this chapter informs us that only those who follow God’s ways will make it. Not because He isn’t willing to pardon sin, but because of unwillingness to repent.
- Stay on the straight and narrow path—learn to love this path
- The godly, blameless, and those with integrity will remain
- The dishonest, deceitful and unfaithful will be uprooted
Skillful living tools: Bend your will to God’s will—learn to love His ways.
Please read Proverbs 2 for yourself, asking God to reveal it to you. Thanks for following this series, as we read and apply proverbs to our life, God will increase our skillful living abilities.
Below you’ll find a tool box with skillful living tools and insights. Each week new tools will be added. Eventually I may give the Tool Box it’s own blog page and update it weekly but for now it will be at the end of each blog post.
Skillful Living Tools and Insights to be applied to life.
- There is no wisdom apart from God.
- Fear the Lord.
- To parent wisely, follow Proverbs 1:7.
- Wisdom comes by responding to instruction.
- Respond to God’s instruction and you will know how to respond in any situation.
- IF you seek God and value wisdom you will know the fear of the Lord.
- IF you apply wisdom to your life you will be able to make right choices.
- Wisdom and understanding keep you pure.
- Bend your will to God’s will—learn to love His ways.